When setting up your CNC machine, it is very important to make sure your X and Y axes are square to each other. The following steps will use a 3-4-5 right triangle as the basis for determining if the X and Y axes are square to each other and making adjustments.
A great example of the 3-4-5 triangle being used and the source for many of the steps below can be viewed below.
Phillips head screwdriver
1/2" wrench or 5mm Allen wrench
V-bit or narrow Tapered Ballnose bit
Straight edge ruler
The following steps will use the 12x12 column but can be substituted with any of the columns below to make the largest possible right triangle to fit your CNC machine. The larger the right triangle used, the closer to square the machine can be calibrated to.
|XY Travel Size||
|A to B||
|B to C||6"||12"||15"||18"|
|A to C||10"||20"||25"||30"|
Using the LCD Pendant:
1. Jog the router to the top left corner of the cnc machine.
2. Zero the XYZ axes to the surface of the material.
3. Place a post-it note (A) with a dot where the tip of the router bit is located.
a. Using a V-bit or a bit with a narrow point is best
4. Tap the number readout on the LCD Pendant above Y + and a number pad will come up.
a. Enter 8
b. Then select the +/- button to make 8 negative
c. Then select Move (the router will move towards the front of the machine 8”
5. Place a Post-it note (B) with a dot where the tip of the router bit is located.
a. Using a ruler, measure the distance to ensure the machine moved 8”
6. Tap the number readout on the LCD Pendant above X + and a number pad will come up.
a. Enter 6
b. Then select Move (the router will move towards the right side of the machine 6”)
7. Place a Post-it note (C) with a dot where the tip of the router bit is located.
a. Using the same ruler, measure the distance to ensure the machine moved 6”
8. Using the same ruler again, measure the distance between points A and C.
a. This distance should measure 10”.
If adjustments need to be made:
Starting with the non-motor (right) leg of the gantry.
(HD5XX series – Unscrew and then slide out of the way the side skirts.)
Loosen, not remove, the four to eight (extended bed) bolts that secure the Y-spar to the Y-bearings.
If the A-C measurement is greater than 10”, push the gantry non-motor leg away from the Y-axis motor.
If the A-C measurement is less than 10”, pull the gantry non-motor leg towards the Y-axis motor.
Tighten the bolts hex bolts. Retest the 3-4-5 right triangle steps